Fire Safety Tips For Your Home
October is fire safety awareness month! Did you know that fire departments in the U.S. respond to over 350,000 household fires every year? While there are some instances beyond our control, many of these fires are 100% preventable when practicing correct fire safety. Take a look at some basic fire safety tips below.
Is your home fire-safe? Take a moment to go through the US Fire Administration’s fire-safety checklist.
Check Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors
You should have at least one smoke alarm & one carbon monoxide alarm on every level of your home, in every sleeping room of your home, and outside the sleeping areas of your home. These alarms should be checked at least once a month to ensure that they are working properly.
Need a smoke alarm? Check out Norfolk Hardware & Home Center’s October Fire Safety specials, on sale now! (link)
Learn How To Use A Fire Extinguisher
In the case of small household fires, you may be able to put them out by yourself with the help of a fire extinguisher. A fire burns very quickly and can engulf a home within minutes. Having at least one fire extinguisher in your house, or one on every floor, will help you prevent small, isolated fires from burning through the rest of your home. You should also know how to use a fire extinguisher beforehand. To use a fire extinguisher, use the PASS acronym.
- Pull the pin
- Aim low
- Squeeze lever
- Sweep the nozzle from side to side
The National Fire Protection Association recommends purchasing multi-purpose fire extinguishers that are good for putting out multiple fires, such as electrical, grease, etc.
Fire Safety: Candles, Space Heaters & Fireplaces
Never leave a burning candle unattended. You should also keep all candles away from flammable materials such as curtains or furniture.
When using space heaters, check the power cord for cracks & make sure that the unit is away from any flammable object. Turn off space heaters when leaving the room.
If your home has a chimney, make sure to sweep it once a year to remove any potential fire hazards. Fires should never be left unattended and flammable objects should be kept far away.
Fire Safety – Electrical
Make sure all electrical wiring in your home is up to code and inspected for fire safety. If an electrical wire is exposed or frayed, this is considered a fire hazard and should be replaced immediately. All electrical work should be performed by a licensed electrician.
The National Electrical Code requires GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) receptacles installed in outlets located in wet or damp areas, such as in kitchens, bathrooms or garages. Using surge protectors is also a good idea, to protect your home from outside power surges that may result in a fire.
All flammable materials (paints, chemicals, sprays, etc) should be stored in approved containers and away from direct sunlight/possible heat sources. Running motors, such as generators & vehicles, should never be left running in an enclosed space, as they release carbon monoxide into the air.
Have An Escape Plan
While no one likes to imagine their home being consumed by fire, the most important thing is to get you and your family to safety. The best way to achieve this is to have an escape plan in place, should you need it. Make sure every family member knows what the plan is and what to do in case of a fire emergency, no matter where they are in the home.
Practice Fire Safety In Your Home
October is fire safety month, and Norfolk Hardware & Home Center has some great deals on smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers and more! You should also visit the NFPA website for more fire safety tips.
Norfolk Hardware & Home Center is Boston’s largest family-owned hardware store and home center, in business since 1934. With over 40,000 sq. feet of retail space, Norfolk Hardware has everything you need for your home, including fire safety. We offer top quality materials at reasonable prices. If we don’t have it in stock, don’t worry – we will order it for you! Contact us today for all your DIY needs or to speak with a DIY expert.